2 x 9″ Genoise sponges (see previous post)
2 small punnets fresh strawberries
1 Kiwi fruit
550 ml fresh double cream
200g cream cheese
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk (more may be required to thin the cream)
1) Slice half of the strawberries to 6-7 mm thick slices. These will be the filling.
2) Use some strawberry jam to affix the first cake onto a cake board
3) Whip the cream to soft peaks
4) Add the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice and mix in gently. The mixture will thicken very quickly so be careful not to over whip. Use a spatula to stir in the evaporated milk. one quick blast of an electric whisk is all that’s required to blend everything together. Keep extra evaporated milk handy to thin as required as it will stiffen with time. Use a spatula to stir in any extra milk as a whisk will further stiffen the cream.
5) Keep a palette knife in very hot water. Wipe off the water with a clean towel and use the hot knife to spread about a cup of the cream mixture over the first sponge.
6) Place the sliced strawberries on top, pressing down slightly.
7) Place the other sponge on top making sure the flatter surface of the sponge faces up. Press the whole thing down gently to even out.
8) If the rest of the cream mixture has thickened, stir in a little more evaporated milk. Leaving 1 cup of this mixture for the swirls, spread the remaining mixture over the top and smooth over the sides using a hot palette knife.
9) To tidy the sides, I used the wilton triangle decorating comb, and ran it around the sides. If you don’t have anything similar, run a hot palette knife around the sides, wiping off regularly. Or make a disposable comb from a clean piece of card.
10) Using a hot palette knife, tidy the top edges wiping off the excess regularly.
11) Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with the remaining cream mixture (remember to thin down with evaporated milk if it’s thickened). Pipe rosettes around the rim of the cake. Clean up the bottom edge of the cake with a wet paper towel.
12) Arrange sliced strawberries and kiwi fruit in random fashion on the top of the cake.
Keep refrigerated and consume within 2 days.