Light fluffy cupcakes with a tangy, sweet jam and cream filling dusted with icing sugar. Perfect for afternoon tea.
For the cupcakes:
4 oz butter (softened)
3 1/2 oz caster sugar
1/3 vanilla pod or 1/2 teaspoon of extract
4 oz self-raising flour
1 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon milk
For the filling:
12 tsp good quality raspberry/strawberry jam/preserve
300ml double cream
2 tablespoons icing sugar
For the top:
Icing sugar to dust
1) Preheat an oven to 160 C. Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake liners. Sift the flours, salt and baking powder and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar for about 30 seconds using an electric whisk or until slightly pale. Add the vanilla and beat again. Mix in the eggs one at a time beating each one into the batter before adding the next. Fold in half of the flour. Add the milk and combine. Fold in the remaining flour and then use the electric whisk for a quick blast to make sure the batter is well combined and smooth (about ten seconds using an electric whisk). Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake liners and bake on the middle shelf for about 15 minutes. Insert a toothpick to test if the cakes are cooked through (should come out clean). Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for about an hour.
2) Whip the double cream until nearly at the soft peak stage. Add the icing sugar and whisk together until soft peaks are formed. If you have over whipped add some milk until it loosens. Fill into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip
3) Use a sharp small knife to cut a cone shape out of the top of each cupcake to create a top and bottom layer. To do this insert the knife, at 45 degrees, close to the top edge of the cake and continue going around with the knife to cut a cone out.
4) Place the jam in a bowl with a tablespoon of water and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Spread a teaspoon of the heated jam onto the bottom layer of the cupcake.
5) Pipe a generous amount of the whipped cream onto the jam filled bottom layer. Tip: leave some jam exposed in areas so they look even more tempting!